March 04, 2009

Why? (a bit of dark whimsy)

I have always liked the dark humor and style of the late Edward Gorey's ink sketchings . In this Gorey-inspired layout for a quote challenge on designerdigitals.com, the challenge was to answer the question "why" about some aspect of your life. I chose to incorporate a saying that struck me as dark irony and makes me smile everytime I look at it posted on my refrigerator: "Because if you don't go to your friends' funerals, they won't go to yours." I made the skeleton nanny and children look as if they had a ghostly glow about them and blended them into the background to look "ethereal". the flower was needed for a prop to exhibit the beautiful wordart of Anna Aspnes (designer, designerdigitals.com) in an artistic way. Fun layout. :-)

No comments: